Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Slow-Cooked Pot Roast with Red Wine Gravy

I love comfort food and therefore, I love my slow cooker. Many people don't want to cook hot food in an oven or over a skillet in the summer, and I think slow cooking is the perfect solution. I stick the slow cooker in the corner of my kitchen, let it do it's thing all day, and the only heat that comes out of it is a steamy aroma of home-cooked goodness when I lift the lid. Then, I sit in the air conditioning and enjoy a comforting bowl of pot roast and egg noodles. This recipe could be enhanced by the addition of veggies such as baby carrots and diced potatoes, which I would recommend adding in the second half of the cooking time as to assure they don't turn to mush (and skipping the egg noodles if you're doing potatoes as to not double up on starch).

For this meal's wine pairing, I would pour a glass of the same red wine you use in the gravy. One of my favorite red wines to cook with and pairs wonderfully with beef is Cabernet Sauvignon. Shiraz would make a great spicy, earthy addition to the meal. Pinot Noir works well too.


What you need:
2-1/2 to 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
1 small onion, sliced
8 oz. sliced baby bellas (rinsed)
1 packet of brown gravy mix (mine was 0.75 oz)
1/2 cup flour
1-1/2 cups red wine
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 oz. tomato paste
2 tsp thyme
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp black pepper
Hot cooked egg noodles (I used ronzoni whole wheat egg noodles)

What you do:
1. Trim large chunks of fat off chuck roast and cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Combine gravy mix, flour, broth, balsamic vinegar, thyme, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, garlic salt, and black pepper in slow cooker and whisk until mixed thoroughly.
3. Add chuck roast, onions, and mushrooms to slow cooker and stir to coat with sauce. Cook on high for 2 hours then add tomato paste. Cook on high for an additional 3 hours.
4. Serve roast and sauce over egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...