Friday, June 24, 2011

Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake

This recipe for Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake comes courtesy of Carol at AllRecipes.com. Many of my recipes start by having a bunch of ingredients I want/need to use before they go bad or if because they're all I have left in the house. My only change to the original recipe is I left out the walnuts. I'm not a big fan, nor did I have any around. I had some bananas that were over-ripe, and was craving a coffee cake-like recipe. This cake is delicious, and can be made with stuff you'll already have around the house. However, my topping wasn't very crumb-y like a crumb cake. I'm not sure what to do there, suggestions appreciated. I enjoyed with a nice hot cup of black coffee (how's that for a pairing).


What you need
Cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Crumb Topping:
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

What you do
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To make the cake, cream together butter, brown sugar, eggs in a large bowl. Add eggs, and beat into mixture. Add mashed bananas and vanilla and mix again.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients - flour, oats, salt, and baking soda. Add gradually to wet ingredients with mixer on high speed.
4. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan.
5. For the crumb topping, mix together oats, brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of batter.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until it tests done. Transfer to a rack to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...