Saturday, April 7, 2012

Organic or not?


I always try to buy local & organic when I can. However, as anyone who subscribes to this same philosophy knows, buying organic can break the grocery budget. I have come across several articles in the past recommending which foods you really should buy organic and which food's you don't necessarily need to buy organic. For anyone trying to eat healthy on a budget, I find this a necessity in deciding on which fruits and veggies to "splurge".

I recently discovered the "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" via pinterest (my love). These two lists are compiled from Department of Agriculture data on residual pesticides on fruits and veggies. The dirty dozen represents 12 fruits and veggies you should buy organic (because they have highest rates residual pesticides) and 15 fruits and veggies that tend to be least contaminated with pesticides (and you might not necessarily need to buy organic).

So here is the list to answer the question I have often asked myself "What should I be buying organic in the produce section?"

SOURCE: Environmental Working Group

                              DIRTY DOZEN                              
1. Apples
2. Celery
3. Strawberries
4. Peaches
5. Spinach
6. Nectarines (imported)
7. Grapes (imported)
8. Sweet bell peppers
9. Potatoes
10. Blueberries (domestic)
11. Lettuce
12. Kale/collard greens

                                  CLEAN 15                                  
1. Onions
2. Sweet corn
3. Pineapples
4. Avocado
5. Asparagus
6. Sweet peas
7. Mangoes
8. Eggplants
9. Cantaloupe (domestic)
10. Kiwi
11. Cabbage
12. Watermelon
13. Sweet potatoes
14. Grapefruit
15. Mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...