Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Bacon, Asparagus, & Cherry Tomato Flatbread
This recipe is perfect if you're cooking for two, as each flatbread makes a personal "pizza" for each eater. Simple, fresh ingredients make this recipe a keeper. I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy my vegetables, and what better way to enjoy anything than to serve it on top of crusty bread with bacon and cheese? In the future, I will try this with different cheeses such as gouda or goat cheese. This dish is very versatile in its wine pairings. If you make with mozarella, any Italian white wine will make a great pair. Or, if you use gouda, chardonnay is a must. Goat cheese pairs well with riesling. Enjoy!
What you need:
5-6 tbsp crumbled bacon
6-8 thin asparagus spears, cut in thirds
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 thin crosswise slices vidalia onion
1-1/3 cups shredded mozzarella
2 pieces flatbread or naan
2 tbsp olive oil
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Arrange two pieces of flatbread or naan on cookie sheet.
3. Brush each piece with olive oil.
4. Divide onion evenly amongst flatbread and arrange on top.
5. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella onto each flatbread.
6. Divide asparagus, bacon, and cherry tomatoes evenly amongst flatbread.
7. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top of flatbread.
8. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes on cookie sheet, then cut and serve.