When in need of a quick & easy weeknight dinner, look no further than these yummy, tangy, healthy chicken tacos served on whole wheat tortillas. I left the topping choices customizable so that you can use whatever you have in the kitchen or leave off whatever you don't like and control the heat level.
Home-made tacos can be healthy, and not like their widely available greasy fast-food counterparts! Whole wheat tortillas and black beans are a great way to add heart-healthy fiber to your diet. Opting to add cayenne pepper and chili peppers such as jalapeno adds immune-boosting capsaicin and vitamins. Avocado (in guacamole) often gets a bad rap for its fattiness but studies show these fats are actually anti-inflammatory and increase our absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like carotenoids (such as those found in previously discussed chili peppers).
Since I always seem to be opting for spicy, tangy dishes... my wine choices may seem repetitive ... or maybe it's my cooking that's getting repetitive? Whites like Rieslings and Gewurtztraminers are the way to go here to balance the spiciness of chipotle, cayenne, and jalapeno in this dish. Enjoy!
What you need:
2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs or Breast
2 limes, juiced
2 cloves garlic
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
A dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper, optional
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cilantro
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 large onion, sliced
Lettuce, Salsa, Sour cream, Guacamole, Shredded Mexican Cheese, Black Beans, Jalapeno Slices
1 package of 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
What you do:
1. Dice chicken into small bite-size pieces.
2. Combine lime juice through sugar in a mini food processor and pulse until chipotle chile and garlic are diced finely and all ingredients well incorporated.
3. Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently until no longer pink.
4. Add contents of mini food processor and onions into skillet. Stir frequently and cook until onions tender.
5. Remove chicken and onions from heat. Warm tortillas per package directions. Serve chicken in a tortilla with choice of ingredients in desired amounts (lettuce, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, black beans, jalapeno slices)